Wednesday, December 19, 2012

How important is your major?

When we were kids we often dreamed of becoming an astronaut or being a doctor. It seems as though we always knew where we wanted to eventually be, but hardly considered the road path to get there. There may be a few who did set out all the steps and processes necessary to reach their goal. But for the majority of us, we often choose while in college.  More than 50% of college students will change their major at least once. This just proves to show the uncertainty we had when picking our major. I know the feeling when it comes to picking your major and you have finished all of you general education. I put myself under a lot of pressure when choosing a major. I struggled with this decision because I felt as though whatever I chose I would do for the rest of my life. So I looked to job reviews and salaries. I went with something I enjoyed, which was math, and a good payoff, which is a high salary. I ultimately chose finance.
How often do individuals pursue a career in the same field as their major? It is funny to say that less than 20% of individuals actually end up in a career similar to their degree. But how can this be? We go to college for the same reason, attaining a good job related to our degree. We all have different goals and different reasons for going to college. Some want to enhance their minds, some want to challenge themselves, some have a goal of getting a degree, some want a better paying job, and some just want the experience. No matter what we all want a good enjoyable job. This can require 10 years of education plus five years of experience or it can require no education and no experience. We sometimes end up in places we never could have imagined, but we are happy with what we do.
So what are we to do? I would suggest going to school and getting a degree in either something you love or something you can do anything with. Liberal arts is always a good major to bank on. It has a wide variety of classes, and you can pursue many careers with it. After you decide what career you “want” to pursue and you have your major in order, the next thing is to get some experience. When looking at job postings having you bachelor degree is first and second is always having a certain amount of experience. Experience I would rank as being more important than education. It gives you that upper hand needed to get the job over other individuals. I would definitely try to get a paying job in a work related field, but if not an internship is always good. Internships are a great way to get a look inside the career you are pursuing. Even if it is not paid, the experience you will receive is worth it.
The next way I suggest to get into your desired career is by getting an entry level job in a business you would love to be apart of or in a business you know is always giving promotions. Now a business always giving promotions is always a good thing. You can work your way up if you work hard at it and prove you are right for the job. A business you would love to be a part of is a good thing too, because once you attain a degree you can try to move up and hopefully you will be first to consider when a spot opens up. These are actually both of my intended plans for my career path.
The career I want to pursue is still up in the air, but I do have short term plans. For the longest time I wanted to work in finance and eventually become a portfolio manager. But my instincts have kicked in and right now I have a new plan. I work for a great company, U.S. Bank. They really appreciate their employees and are always encouraging advancement from within. I have been waiting to graduate college for quite some time now. But I will finally be done this spring semester. So I currently am a teller at U.S. Bank. I have only been getting better and better at what I do. I have been studying the product knowledge and have been figuring out what it means to give great customer service. These are qualities necessary to be a good teller and as well as a good banker. My plan is to become a banker once I finish college. I would like to be a great banker for 2-3 years and then make my next move. I think currently my next move after being a branch banker would be a business to business banker. I am always open to new options and ideas, and I will go wherever I am taken. The good thing about my strategy for my future jobs is that I have it all planned out and know what steps to take. I also have been networking with my manager and district manager as well as with a few bankers. The great thing about some jobs is even if you do not have a degree you can work your way up from one position to the next, the main thing is to set a plan, your major is not always the most important thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment